Currently, the Installation cost of an EV charging point is around $ 15,000 to $ 23,000, which can significantly cut down to around $ 10,000.
- India collaborates with Japan on 14th India-Japan Annual Summit for affordable charging standards.
- India and Japan will jointly develop an easy-to-install electric vehicle charging station based on Japanese protocol.
On 19 May 2022, India in collaboration with Japan is going to build Electric Vehicle charging station standards, EV batteries, and green hydrogen as both the countries aim to reach zero emission goals by 2070 and 2050 respectively.
The statement was declared on the clean and green environment partnership between the two countries when PMs of both the countries had met at the 14th India-Japan Annual Summit.
According to this statement, based on Japanese protocol both the countries will jointly develop an easy-to-install electric vehicle charging station.
The CHAdeMO Association will work with the Indian standard drafting committee and will develop the changing standard in Japan
The drafting committee includes automakers like Mahindra and Suzuki. The drafting committee will submit the proposal to the Bureau of Indian standards this year.
The CHAdeMO Association, have 500 members, which includes the EV maker Toyota and Nissan, which aims to motivate the adoption of EVs in India, they are also aiming to encourage the southeast Asian countries as these countries lack Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure.
Alongside, the proposed EV charging standards will provide an output of up to 22 kilowatts. This is almost half of the figure which is typically used in charging stations in Japan.
According to this partnership, the installation cost of the Electric Vehicle charging station will decrease by one-third of the original price.
Based on this Electric Vehicle charging standard, Japanese EV makers can export EV models to other countries without affecting the charging port. This will allow all the local Japanese automakers to expand their market all over the globe.
Moreover, both the countries are gradually shifting towards, newer technology and business model to reduce the carbon footprint on the environment by addressing climate change.
Currently, the cost to set up an EV charging station in India is around Rs. 3 Lakhs-25 Lakhs depending on the type of charger.
There are different components that add to the cost to set up Electric Vehicle charging stations in India like CMS, EVSE, transformer, Infrastructure, electrification, and the type of Charger one wants to install.
|Charger Type||Cost Estimate|
|CCS (30kW)||Rs. 15,00,000|
|Type 2 AC ( 7/22 kW)||Rs. 3,00,000-5,00,000|
|Bharat DC-001||Rs. 3,00,000|
|Bharat AC-001||Rs. 1,00,000|
There are other several other key factors that play a role in the overall cost of installation of an Electric vehicle charging station:
- To install the EV charging station Civil Worker is required which will cost around Rs.50,000.
- An EVSE software is also required which will cost around Rs. 60,000.
- A new electricity connection is also required for setting up a charging station.
- If one does not have its own land for building the Electric Vehicle charging station, then one has to pay rent for land as well, which will add to the cost of installing the Electric Vehicle charging station.
Since GOI is focused on achieving 30% of vehicles on the Indian road to be Electric by 2030. So, this partnership between these two countries will enhance the growth of the Electric Vehicle charging ecosystem in India.
- Best Tesla Wireless Phone Chargers for Model 3 and Model Y in 2023 - March 8, 2023
- India’s Long-Term Low Emission Development Strategy to UNFCCC: Explained - November 18, 2022
- Ola Electric showcased its S1 and S1 Pro electric scooters at EICMA 2022, Milan, Italy. - November 16, 2022