Electric Vehicle charging station business is de-licensed by the government of India, as an initiative of make in India. So it is hassle-free to open an electric car charging station in India.
And you might be wondering:
- How to open an electric car charging station in India?
- How to start an electric car charging station business in India?
Considering the global rise in the electric vehicle market to billions, electric vehicle charging startups started to boom rapidly along with the electric cars charging stations business opportunity in India.
India is one of the rapidly growing markets in the EV sector with almost quite a few companies investing currently. So Indian startups and investors have a great opportunity to rise and invest in this sector. And the best part is that any individual can invest in the electric mobility sector, following the guidelines of the government and Ministry of Power(MOP).
Lack of charging station facilities was always a setback for the boom of EV market in India.
APPLY FOR EV CHARGING STATION
Considering the rapid rise in the pollution levels in the country electric vehicles and charging stations are highly encouraged. The government of India has undertaken multiple initiatives to promote the manufacturing and adoption of electric vehicles in India with the release of the electric vehicle charging station policy. Read here
With the support of the Central Government and State Government, electric car charging stations have started penetrating in the Indian startup sector under EV make in India scheme-FAME.
Find the best electric vehicles in India 2020. Here
With a view of accelerating the adoption of the electric vehicle ecosystem, the government of India has de-licensed the public charging station ventures for Indian EVs. This means many young entrepreneurs can dive into this sector without the hassle of license and just meeting the parameters set by the government.
To setup an electric car charging station in India one needs to follow these:
- Contact local DISCOM for permission
- Decide a location for setup
- make space for parking ten cars
- Contact charging station provider
Before starting an electric car charging station question that would go through your mind would be:
How to open an electric car charging station in India?
How to install electric vehicle charging station?
In this article we will try to answer this question
To setup and install EV charging station, these points should be understood beforehand – Detailed guide
Types of EV Charging station
All of the charging Stations and EVSE are not the same. Some can be directly plugged into standard wall outlets while some need to be custom installed based on the requirement. Based on the charger available, the charging time of the electric vehicle varies.
Level 1 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Uses a 120 V AC plug which can be plugged into a standard wall outlet to charge at home.
- Slow charging, Low installation cost.
- Mostly residential EV chargers.
Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- For both commercial (204 AC Plug) & residential (208 AC Plug) use.
- 10-60 Miles range per hour, 2 hours to fully charge the battery.
- Installation costs are higher.
- Most business and car fleet owners.
Level 3 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (DC Fast Charging Stations)
- DC Fast Chargers or CHAdeMO types of chargers.
- Highly powered.
- Hight cost and maintenance.
- Charge time is reduced drastically – typically 30 minutes for an 80% charge.
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE)
An EVSE is a wall-mounted box that supplies electric energy for recharging electric vehicle batteries. Also, EVSEs have a safety lock-out feature that does not allow current to flow from the device until the plug is physically inserted into the car.
Features in an EVSE include:
- Integrated payment gateways
- Software for remote monitoring
Minimum requirements for PCI (public charging infrastructure) of EVs
The Indian government recently released a notification regarding the infrastructure for PCS (public charging stations) and electric car charging station requirements:
- EVSE with an option to install an additional number of chargers if required.
- Space for charging, entry, and exit of up to ten electric cars.
- Minimum of three fast chargers and two slow charge points (refer to the table below for required chargers)
|Charger Type||Charger Connectors||Rated Voltage|
- Transformer with safety appliance.
- Electricity supply (33/l l KV line/cables) to power up the charging station.
- Appropriate civil works, startups are free to create Charging Hubs and to install an additional number of Chargers.
- Network Service Providers (NSPs) to enable advance remote/online booking of charging slots.
- Safe area for charging and public amenities.
- Liquid-cooled cables and climate control equipment if fast charging option is planned by the charging station provider.
Public Charging Infrastructure for heavy-duty EVs
- two chargers of minimum 100 kW (with 200-1000 V) each of different specification (CCS & CHAdeMO)
- Liquid-cooled cables for high-speed charging, for the fluid-cooled batteries.
Cost of purchase and installation of an electric vehicle charging station in India
You might be wondering how much does electric car charging station cost?
The cost of EV charging station depends on the type of chargers one wants to place.
|Charger type||Total Cost|
|Type 2 AC||1,37,000|
However, several main factors play a major role in the electric car charging station installation cost in India.
- EVSE Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment
- Electric connections and transmission cables
- Manpower and maintenance
- Civil works including addition of public amnesties
- Electric vehicle technicians
- Cost of land (if on rent)
- Charging station equipment and mobile app if required
- Branding and advertisement
Based on the type of charger used including the variable factors electric vehicle charging station cost will vary from 1-20 lakhs for the first year which will reduce by 40% next year.
Although there are less EVs in India but seeing the rise in electric vehicle sector, the EV charging station will be in great demand in around 3 years.
So, it’s a wise investment with great revenue model. This is the cost estimation for commercial EV charger setup whereas home car charging station cost is slightly less.
Read the cost of setting up electric vehicle charging station India-
Location recommendations for the public electric vehicle charging station
Locations of PCS is totally up to the demand and the availability of space however it is highly advised to set a station nearby highways or petrol pumps.
- Near café’s or malls for charging while the vehicle is parked.
- Near colleges or other government institutions where in the requirement is high.
There are also some requirements for the public charging station’s location set by the government.
- One Charging Station in a grid of 3 Km X 3 Km. Further, one Charging Station be set up at every 25 Km on both sides of highways/roads.
- The government is planning to give priority to retail outlets of oil marketing companies (OMC) like Indian Oil, Bharat petroleum for installing PCS considering the safety norms.
Approaching the right vendors for charging stations
Electric car charging stations manufacturers in India.
With the rise in the number of electric vehicles in India, the electric car charging stations business, the charging station manufacturer, EVSE manufacturers, and charging network providers have escalated recently. Some notable electric vehicle charging station company in India are :
Offers – EVSE manufacturers, EV charging equipment including AC DC EV charger, Site management systems for electric vehicles.
Offers – High voltage harmony EV chargers CHAdeMO and CCS compatible and EVSE.
Offers – EVSE, AC DC chargers
Charging network provider of tata electric car charging station.
Offers – EV charging solution s for EV fleet, office charging and public charging. EV charging network covers various states in India Mumbai, Pune, Delhi , Bangalore, Hyderabad
Other great names in the electric car charging stations manufacturers in India s include ABB India, Magenta group, Fortum India, Okaya power group, Charge my Gadi, ChargeMOD, Tata motors charging station.
Tariff for the supply of electricity to Public EV Charging Stations
The tariff for supply of electricity to Public electric vehicle Charging Station shall be determined by the appropriate commission, provided however that the tariff shall not be more than the average cost of supply plus fifteen percent.
The tariff applicable for domestic consumption shall be applicable for domestic EV charging.
Why one should Invest in Electric Vehicle Charging Stations?
Growing concerns about climate change India have altered the transport ecosystem in India with the widespread implementation of electric vehicles. As electric vehicles are eco-friendly, companies and individuals should invest in this sector for the betterment of society and the environment as a whole.
Shows your concern
When one sets up an electric vehicle charging station at his/her property, it sends a clear message that you care about the environment by decreasing carbon emission and supporting the drivers and EV owners who have switched over conventional gas-powered vehicles. Also, it’s a great electric car charging station business opportunity in India.
Monetize your parking
If you own a space that can be turned into parking for vehicles, one can install EV chargers to attract more EV drivers. If you are a retailer or restaurant, you can attract new customers who will spend more time shopping or dining with you while their vehicles charge.
For more detailed information and consultation to open an EV charging station, drop your email below to contact us
FAQ on Charging stations:
Electric car charging stations are powered by electricity generated from renewable sources of energy. Solar-powered electric vehicle charging stations are an example.
To start an electric vehicle charging station in India is a pretty simple process:
– Contact the local DISCOM for tariff
– Decide a location for station installation
– Contact charging station manufacturers
The cost to setup an electric vehicle charging station in India is around 1 lakhs – 15 Lakhs. However, the cost depends on the type of charging station one wants to install and the infrastructure requirements.
Yes, definitely. Seeing the rise in the number of electric vehicles, it is a very wise investment in EV charging stations. Consumers will need lots and lost of charging stations to go ahead in their journey.
Definitely, charging electric car is cheaper compared to petrol and diesel. Reason is the lower tariff of electricity compared to petrol and diesel which needs to be imported from other countries in heavy amount.